Current Job Openings
PetVet Care Centers, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading operators of veterinary hospitals for companion animals. The company operates over 450 hospitals across multiple states and employs over 11,000 people including over 800 veterinarians. Since its inception, PetVet has been structured around a model that is focused on developing a partnership between the hospitals and the company and providing the highest quality medicine and service.
PetVet Care Centers, Inc. is one of the nation's leading operators of veterinary hospitals for companion animals. The company operates over 450 hospitals across multiple states and employs over 11,000 people including over 800 veterinarians. Since its inception, PetVet has been structured around a model that is focused on developing a partnership between the hospitals and the company and providing the highest quality medicine and service.
Position Overview: The Veterinary Assistant provides support to the veterinarians and technicians in their daily tasks by assisting in pet restraint, lab work, surgical procedures, patient care, triage/discharge of patients, and maintaining hospital cleanliness. The job duties of a Veterinary Assistant require having practical knowledge of our hospital procedures, policies and services; patient treatment protocols; hospital computer systems; and the standard procedures, and terminology used in a veterinary clinic setting.
- Provide compassionate care to all patients
- Greet patients and their owners as they arrive and show them to an examining room, taking the patient's weight and other vital signs upon arrival
- Triage patients, perform physical exams, treatments, and administer medication as directed by the licensed veterinary technicians (LVT's).
- Calm and soothe anxious patients
- Assist doctors and technicians with the administration of medications or with patient restraint
- Perform laboratory tests and take radiographs
- Operate and maintain hospital equipment, including EKG, fluid pump, syringe pump, scales, anesthetic monitors, and machines, etc.
- Fill prescriptions, calculate and administer medications, maintain proper documentation, logging, and security of controlled drugs.
- Feed patients as prescribed by the attending doctor or as the client has requested; record appetites; recognize and report any unusual conditions or abnormal behaviors
- Communicate in a positive manner with clients and ensure that they feel comfortable leaving their pet(s)
- Educate clients about insurance, wellness, and medicinal plans
- Maintain the cleanliness of the hospital each day; clean equipment, kennels, and facilities using chemicals and supplies; ensure the safe use of chemicals; complete laundry
- Bath and care for patients who stay overnight; ensure that every animal released is clean and properly groomed prior to their release
- Adhere to the hospital's safety and wellness regulations
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Maintain accurate medical records
- Show up for work regularly; full-time presence at work is essential for every shift
- Promote hospital products and services and support the organization
- Respond respectfully with urgency to directions given by Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or Licensed Veterinary Technicians (LVT).
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Manager; may have other assigned duties if working in a specialty area (i.e., dentistry, surgery, emergency, radiology, cardiology, neurology, internal medicine, etc.)
- Care and Compassion – displays a desire to build rapport, provide personal assistance, and emotional support
- Animal Restraint and Safety – uses sound judgment when handling patients and always takes appropriate precautionary steps when needed
- Communication – uses effective and appropriate methods of interacting with others
- Team Orientation – works cooperatively with the team to address tasks and accomplish goals
- Dependability – demonstrates responsibility in completing all job tasks
- Cleanliness Standards – consistently follows sanitization and sterilization policies and procedures
- Energy and Productivity – completes tasks quickly and thoroughly without prompting
- Time Management – manages time and prioritizes work tasks effectively
- Technical Skills and Learning – keeps up-to-date with new technical skills and knowledge in the field
- Care and Use of Equipment – takes appropriate steps to perform operation checks and maintenance of equipment
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two or more years' experience in a veterinary environment successfully performing all of the duties of this position
- Experience with surgical monitoring, radiology, dental prophylaxis, and client education
- Maintains current knowledge in the field of expertise and actively seeks opportunities for continuing education and skill improvement.
- Ability to restrain animals, fill prescriptions, and monitor sedation procedures
- Ability to work with or around sick animals, potentially hazardous materials, cleaning chemicals, gas anesthetics, zoonotic diseases, and unpleasant odors
- Requires knowledge of hospital procedures, policies, and services; client and patient treatment protocols; hospital computer systems; and the standard procedures, records, and terminology used in a veterinary hospital.
- Depending on the functional area of assignment, tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation and/or extended periods of time standing and/or walking.
- This is a strenuous job that requires a lot of lifting, cleaning, and constant motion. May involve some climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling
- Some tasks involve the periodic performance of moderately physically demanding work, usually involving lifting or carrying moderately heavy animals (up to 50 pounds)
PetVet is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, religion, citizenship, national origin/ancestry, physical/mental disabilities, military status or any other basis prohibited by law. EOE, M/F/D/V
PetVet respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information. Please see our privacy notice for additional information about our data practices.
Why Consider Our Erin Hospital?
At Houston County Animal Clinic, our team members all share the same passion for making and keeping animals healthy.
Our hospital truly is an excellent place to work, with a highly skilled team focused on 'best in practice' veterinary care.
We are very supportive of individuals looking to grow their veterinary careers and look forward to hearing from you.
We invite you to explore your veterinary career options with Houston County Animal Clinic, where you'll be a respected member of a team that loves animals and values the contributions from every individual on the team.